ContactSouth Florida Office
One Financial Plaza, 23rd Floor
100 Southeast Third Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33394
(954) 492-4010 (tel)
(954) 492-1144 (fax)
(954) 492-4010 x1926
Andromeda Monroe, an Associate in the Firm’s Insurance Regulatory Law and Corporate and Transactional Law Divisions, has nearly 30 years of experience in insurance and reinsurance regulatory law and commercial reinsurance dispute management. The former Deputy Director of the Ohio Insurance Department, she also served in the corporate counsel capacity as Assistant Vice president of a U.S. Fortune 500 insurance company and Vice President of two of its subsidiary insurers.
Licensed to practice in both Florida and Ohio, Ms. Monroe advises clients on matters related to insurance holding company transactions (including affiliate agreements), credit for reinsurance, transfer of risk, Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund commutation and related issues, premium finance and extended service contracts. She reviews and provides analysis to clients in regard to trust agreements, reinsurance contracts (including quota share, excess of loss and Industry Loss Warranty reinsurance contracts), letters of credit and managing general agent and general agency contracts.
In addition, she assists clients in their participation in captives and catastrophe bond reinsurance arrangements, in forming captives, obtaining and renewing their eligibility or certification as eligible or certified reinsurers and obtaining eligibility as surplus lines insurers. Ms. Monroe is involved with purchasing group registrations, risk retention group issues, self-insurance issues, corporate acquisitions and various Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and health insurance-related issues.
Previously, she managed arbitrations and litigation in regard to London Market Personal Accident excess of loss reinsurance spirals and reinsurance pools and assisted clients in resolving regulatory disputes with insurance regulatory agencies.
One of the earlier chairpersons of the Service Contract Industry Council, Ms. Monroe also participated as an interested party representative in regard to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners Assumption Reinsurance Model and finite reinsurance interrogatories.
Ms. Monroe earned her Juris Doctor at Duke University School of Law and her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She actively raises funds and volunteers for various charitable causes throughout the community.
- Insurance and Service Contract Regulatory Law
- Transactional and Administrative Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Governmental Affairs
- Duke University School of Law, J.D.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A. in Political Science
Legal Memberships and Courts
- Florida Bar
- Ohio Bar
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Association of Professional Women (2012)
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP)
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS - U.S)
- 2011/2012 Broward County Bar Association Professionalism Committee
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- International Association of Insurance Receivers (IAIR)
Civic and Community Affiliations
- Duke University Alumni Admissions Committee
- Humane Society of Broward County (Volunteer)
Conferences and Presentations
- ARIAS-U.S. 2012 Spring Conference; May 9-11, 2012
- HarrisMartin 2011 Reinsurance Summit; September 22-23, 2011
- Vermont Captives Insurance Association 2011 Annual Conference; August 9-11, 2011
- National Bar Association 86th Annual Convention; July 31-August 4, 2011
- NAIC ERM Symposium & Corporate Governance Working Group; July 20, 2011
- Society of Financial Examiners 2011 Annual Conference; July 17-20, 2011
- Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund 2011 Participating Insurers Workshop; May 24-25, 2011
- ARIAS-U.S. 2011 Spring Conference; May 4-6, 2011
- NAIC Spring 2011 National Meeting; March 26-29, 2011
- Surplus Lines Law Group Spring Meeting; March 24-25, 2011
- ARIAS – U.S. Intensive Arbitrator Training Workshop (Trainee); September 13-14, 2010
- Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriters (CPCU) Reinsurance Interest Group Dallas Symposium; "Credit For Reinsurance: A General Overview of State and Federal Regulation"
- NAIC Financial Summit; 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
- Presentation to the South Florida Chapter of the Insurance Accounting and Systems Association on Finite Reinsurance, 2007
Recently Published Articles
- Colodny, Fass, Talenfeld, Karlinsky, Abate & Webb's Fred Karlinsky and Andromeda Monroe in Florida Underwriter: Will Florida Become the Next Major Venue for Captive Insurers?
- Ms. Monroe was an acknowledged legal research assistant for the following article: Banking and Financial Services Policy Report, Aspen Publishers, October 2010; “Dodd-Frank and Board Governance: New Political-Legal Risks to Monetary Policy and Business Judgments?” by Dr. Dino Falaschetti, Fred E. Karlinsky, Esq., and Richard J. Fidei, Esq.