ContactSouth Florida Office
One Financial Plaza, 23rd Floor
100 Southeast Third Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33394
(954) 492-4010 (tel)
(954) 492-1144 (fax)
Nicole H. Fried
An Associate in Colodny, Fass, Talenfeld, Karlinsky, Abate & Webb’s Lobbying and Governmental Consulting and Insurance Regulatory Law Divisions, Nicole “Nikki” Fried works closely with regulators and lawmakers throughout the country on behalf of the Firm, most frequently for its many insurance clients.
To develop and foster relationships with these policymakers, Ms. Fried travels frequently to national conferences and meetings, such as the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the National Conference of Insurance Legislators (NCOIL).
During Florida’s Legislative Session, she works with the Firm’s Tallahassee Office by directly advocating for and against various legislative and regulatory initiatives identified by clients. She also researches and drafts insurance-related legislation, and tracks developments in federal regulation and lawmaking for matters of client interest.
Ms. Fried has an integral role in the planning and execution of the 2012 State of the Florida Insurance Market Summit, co-hosted by Colodny, Fass, Talenfeld, Karlinsky, Abate & Webb and attended by more than 500 insurance regulators, legislators and industry executives from around the country.
Experienced in complex commercial litigation, Ms. Fried managed a foreclosure defense litigation department as Senior Litigation Associate for another major law firm.
She formerly served the Eighth Circuit Court Public Defender’s Office, where she managed a large felony and misdemeanor caseload and chaired more than 20 jury trials. Subsequently, she was promoted there to Felony Division Chair, a position that entailed supervising colleagues’ case management.
Nominated by her peers in 2009 and 2010 for inclusion in the Florida Super Lawyers magazine as a “Rising Star,” Ms. Fried is admitted to practice in Florida state courts and in the Middle and Southern U.S. District Courts.
In 2011, she was appointed to serve on the Florida Bar’s Student Education and Admissions Committee, for which her current term will expire in 2014. She also is a member of the Broward County Bar Association’s Legislative Affairs Committee.
A graduate of University of Florida Levin College of Law, she earned her Master of Arts in Political Campaigning and Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of Florida.
Ms. Fried, a member of University of Florida’s Hall of Fame and its prestigious Blue Key, also served the University as a member of its Board of Trustees and as Student Body President. Currently, she serves on the University’s Governmental Relations Advisory Committee.
- Governmental Consulting
- Insurance Regulatory Law
- University of Florida Fredric G. Levin College of Law, J.D., 2003
- University of Florida, M.A. in Political Campaigning, 2003
- University of Florida, B.A. in Political Science, 1998
Legal Memberships and Courts
- Florida Bar
- Broward County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court for the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- Broward County Bar Association Legislative Affairs Committee
- The Florida Bar Student Education and Admissions Committee
- Alachua County Bar Grievance Committee; March 2008-February 2009
- Member-at-Large, Jacksonville Bar Association Young Lawyer’s Section; 2004-2005
Civic and Community Involvement
- Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce - Government Affairs Committee
- Florida Blue Key
- Florida State University College of Law - Guest Lecturer, Spring 2012: “Insurance Law: A Law and Political Economics Perspective"
- University of Florida Governmental Relations Advisory Committee
- Former University of Florida Board of Trustees Member
- Former University of Florida Student Body President
Awards and Honors
- Super Lawyers "Rising Star," 2009-2010; 2010-2011
- University of Florida Hall of Fame
- Life and Health Compliance Association; October 17-19, 2012; Little Rock, AR
- NAIC 2012 Summer National Meeting; August 11-14, 2012; Atlanta, Georgia
- Louisiana Insurers Conference; August 1-3, 2012; New Orleans, Lousiana
- NCOIL 2012 Summer Meeting; July 13-15, 2012; Burlington, VT
- Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund Participating Insurers 12th Annual Participating Insurers Workshop; May 15-16, 2012; Orlando, Florida
- 2012 State of the Florida Insurance Market Summit; March 14-16, 2012; Amelia Island, FL
- NAIC Spring 2012 National Meeting; March 3-6, 2012; New Orleans, LA
- Louisiana Insurers’ Annual Convention; November 11, 2011; New Orleans, LA
- NAIC Fall 2011 National Meeting; November 3-6, 2011; Washington, D.C.
- Blackman Kallick's 2011 Insurance Conference; October 27, 2011; Chicago, IL
- 8th Annual Louisiana Filing & Compliance Seminar in Conjunction with the Louisiana Insurers’ Conference; August 11-12, 2011; Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Cagney Research Group Insurance Roundtable, July 13-14, 2011, Chicago, Illinois
- American Association of Managing General Agents Committee Day, June 23-24, 2011; Chicago, Illinois
- Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund 2011 Participating Insurers Workshop; May 24-25, 2011; Orlando, Florida
- NAIC Spring 2011 National Meeting; March 26-29, 2011; Austin, Texas
- AICP Journal for Insurance Compliance Professionals; December 16, 2011; "Social Media: The Times, They Are A-Changin'" by Fred Karlinsky, Esq., Rich Fidei, Esq. and Nicole Fried, Esq.